Maracanã Stadium, Rio de Jamiero
World Cup 2014 Update
Brazil, known as the ‘Land of Soccer’ has lost its hopes of seeing the once unbeatable Brazilian national soccer team win its sixth world title at home, as the 2014 FIFA World Cup will be hosted by the South American nation.
Only a year away from hosting World Cup 2014, Brazil is behind in its preparations for the event. The friendly match between Brazil and England’s soccer teams earlier this month was an example of that. Promoted as a grand reopening for Rio de Janeiro’s famous Maracanã Stadium, which seats 70,000 and will be one of the venues for the World Cup, it ended up being called off by the local justice due to safety concerns related to its construction and refurbishment plans.
The government of Rio de Janeiro appealed the decision, and within a matter of hours the match was given an official go ahead as originally planned. The final score was a 2-2 draw, with soccer fans around the world incredulously watching the sequence of events called a “Crazy Creole samba,” by Brazilians.
“There’s always a way for everything in Brazil,” José Inácio Werneck, a Brazilian sports columnist, wrote at the time. “But it’s a shame that this happened because of the incompetence and corruption of our directors and politicians.” And that was just the tip of the iceberg.
Out of six of the 12 World Cup stadiums in the cities of Belo Horizonte, Brasilia, Fortaleza, Recife, Rio de Janeiro and Salvador, including the Maracanã, only two were reportedly delivered within the initially agreed timing.
Buy World Cup 2014 tickets and World Cup 2014 Final Tickets now online!
World Cup 2014 Qualifier Tickets
- Scotland v Belgium Tickets World Cup 2014 Qualifier 6 Sep 2013 Hampden Park Glasgow, United Kingdom
- England v Moldova Tickets World Cup 2014 Qualifier 6 Sep 2013 Wembley Stadium London, United Kingdom
- England v Montenegro Tickets World Cup 2014 Qualifier 11 Oct 2013 Wembley Stadium London, United Kingdom
- Scotland v Croatia Tickets World Cup 2014 Qualifier 15 Oct 2013 Hampden Park Glasgow, United Kingdom
- England v Poland Tickets World Cup 2014 Qualifier 15 Oct 2013 Wembley Stadium London, United Kingdom